Welcome to Hotel Barge L'Art de Vivre
L'Art de Vivre is the oldest hotel barge in our fleet. She was built in England during World War One as a supply vessel to the Allied troops battling in the Somme. Later, after her time as a lumber carrier in Scotland, the eight-passenger L'Art de Vivre was carefully transformed by a team of skilled craftsmen into a floating celebration of the Burgundian "good life" for barging in France.
French Hotel Barge L'ART DE VIVRE - Barging in France - Cruising Northern Burgundy, France
L'Art de Vivre is very much a traditional barge in style, with original wood and brass features that emphasise her heritage and create a warm and inviting interior atmosphere. The comfortable, compact cabins all have modern en-suite, private bathroom facilities and the delightful salon combines contemporary leather with more traditional furnishings.
There is a sun deck where you can relax with a glass of wine as you glide through the pretty Burgundy countryside, a relaxing spa pool and, of course, bicycles for exploring along the towpath or nearby villages. You can rejoin the hotel barge at one of the locks up ahead.
Your crew of four comprises a Captain, Master Chef, Tour Guide and Hostess, all with a love of the Nivernais Canal and secure in the knowledge that their vessel represents "L'Art de Vivre" itself. The region simply oozes charm and the cruise is a journey back in time along a magical waterway.
L'Art de Vivre is also available for "Tandem Barge Cruises" with the 12-passenger La Belle Epoque for larger groups of up to 20 passengers.
Barge Cruise highlights:
- Explore enchanting Auxerre and its magnificent cathedral
- Private wine tasting at the prestigious Chablis house of Domaine Laroche, along with a cellar visit and private lunch
- Excursion to the quarry of Aubigny, followed by a crémant wine tasting in the cellars of Bailly Lapierre
- Visit the picturesque village of Vezelay and its hilltop basilica
- Visit the elegant 12th-century Château de Bazoches
- Excellent towpath for walking and bicycling
- Biking Plus option available
- Optional Hot Air Ballooning
Learn more about the Canal du Nivernais
- About the Canal du Nivernais
- Towns & Villages Along the Canal du Nivernais
- Best Places to Visit on the Canal du Nivernais
HOME - Hotel Barge L'Art de Vivre